Sunday, March 15, 2009

just a litlte magic

In addition to being Pi Day, yesterday was of course also St. Patrick's Day. In honor of both, I braved my first Key Lime Pie (I am a much better cook than baker, so desserts always make me nervous. There is so much.... measuring, and I am too easily distracted).

I already had some Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice from October when I made Key Lime Cupcakes for Brian's birthday, and since I don't have much occasion to use key lime juice in my normal every day cooking, I saw this as a perfect opportunity to use the rest of it.

After some searching online, I decided to use Emeril's Key Lime Pie recipe, but with a few adjustments (quite brave, as I usually refuse to alter a recipe the first time through, especially a dessert).

First, I was not even remotely interested in making my own graham cracker crust, especially when you can get them ready-made, so I bought one and saved myself the trouble. Second, the sour cream icing made me very uncomfortable, even though all the reviews raved about it. I made it as the recipe called for, then added another tablespoon of powdered sugar and the juice of half a lime.

Here is my pie ready to go in the oven - so pretty!


And here is the pie after setting in the fridge for 2 hours, iced and garnished:


Success! Brian has eaten nearly half of it by now. The topping is yummy, but adding the lime juice might not have been the best idea for pie-preservation, as it made it more runny and prone to separate in the fridge. Other than that, totally delish, super tart, and way easy. I'll tackle something more difficult next time.

Tonight I am making Baked Halibut in Foil Packets. Brian and I are day-dreaming almost constantly about how much more wonderful cooking together will be when we have our own kitchen that is organized properly for cooking. I am so annoyed with this stupid kitchen in the house I am living in...

2 comments:

Jessica & Robbie said...

St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow! You're crazy! I bet the pie was still good, though.

Meg said...

Haha blame Brian! He told me it was Saturday and even though it sounded wrong, he's usually right so.... :)