Wednesday, May 03, 2006

close your eyes

I guess I could talk about my job a little bit.

As mentioned previously, my incredible boss Sarah was offered an incredible job with the state, so she resigned from Mondavi and I got moved from the cramped and crazy TB 206 to the spacious and snazzy Mondavi Center business offices. This would be no big deal except that no one really knew I was coming and no one was ready for me. I've put in over 10 hours this week doing nothing but sitting here at the receptionist's desk directing phone calls and getting annoyed because, dammit, this is not the job I worked so hard to get. I worked hard to get a job in Arts Education so I could write curriculum and work with people who believe in arts initiatives and coordinate professional development series for teachers. I did not work hard to date-stamp paychecks and sort mail.

Jennifer, the woman who interviewed and hired me, seemed to be sensing my frustration. She just called and asked if I would like to work in her office tomorrow so she can train me to do all the data-entry stuff and learn my way around the offices. Since there are lots of people who actually do need extra help (contrary to how it appears as I sit here with nothing to do for five hours), she is going to put together a work log for me so I can just move around the offices and help whoever needs help with whatever they need help with.

It's not Arts Ed, but it's better than being a receptionist. I am not cut out for a desk job.

No comments: