Saturday, December 16, 2006

and learn to fly

Thursday was my last day at Norwood and my kids threw me a little party and gave me some gifts and wrote me some letters and it was all really precious. During third period, I was sitting in the teachers' lounge waiting for Jenny to finish teaching her class and our principle walked up and we started chatting:

Roxanne: "Ooh, what did you get?"
Me: "Oh, some cards, some stuffed animals, and some other things from Mary."
R: "How sweet. So, where are you off to now?"
M: "I have a long-term placement at Hiram Johnson High School that starts in January."
R: "I see. So you have somewhere else you need to be?"
M: "Um... yes, kind of."
R: "So, when will you be a credentialed English teacher?"
M: "June of 2007."
R: "Hmm... Would you be able to get your emergency credential and start working here in January?"

HOLD UP.

So you want to hire me? As a real, paid teacher? In January? Before I even have my credential??

What followed was convoluted and hard to follow, so I'll shorten the last several days into serveral haikus:

I talked to Pauline
Discussed next quarter's options
Part-time would be fine

Roxanne called Pauline
Would only accept full-time
I'm just that awesome

If you don't read poetry well, it went something like this: Pauline said I could take the job only if it was a part-time position because my priority needs to be the program (blah blah blah). Roxanne wasn't willing to negotiate for part-time because they need somone ASAP, but told Pauline she was really impressed with my teaching and was sorry I wouldn't be joining her team. Because I'm awesome.

So, you know, that was flattering. And now I'm home with my family until January. I can't promise a lot of blogging, but I can promise a lot of PJ wearing and fireside sitting.

We'll be in touch, I'm sure.

No comments: