Tuesday, December 12, 2006

are you having any fun

Things have been pretty exciting, teaching-wise, lately. Yesterday I was filmed (yuck) and had my end-of-quarter conference with my professors and master teacher. Then I had to go watch my film with Zach and write a paper about it. It was weird watching myself teach and even weirder hearing my teachers tell me what a good job I'm doing. I mean, I know I'm doing a good job, but it's been a tough quarter and I've dealt with a lot of stuff in the classroom, so it was great to get some positive feedback and validation.

Plus, I'm teaching poetry.

So today, an hour into my lesson, I find out I'm being observed again. By someone from the district. What the crap? Apparently, this woman was observing support classes and was originally supposed to observe Mary but, surprise, Mary isn't teaching right now - I am. Rather than reschedule, Mary told her "Oh, Megan just does what I do, so you can observe her." Fortunately, I was prepared with a good lesson and lots of handouts, overheads, and guided practice, but that really threw me for a loop.

So we had another short conference after class today and this woman told me that she had no negative things to say about my lesson, my teaching style, and my behavior management techniques and wanted to know if she could have a copy of my tape from yesterday to show clips of during training sessions (what??) and when I would have my credential and if I was planning to teach in the area next year.

Holy crap, did I just get a thinly veiled job offer? Brilliant.

And that's all for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Go Megan! If I were in Jr. High, I'd want you as my teacher! ;)

Is there really anything you can't do well???

:Dave
(I'd sign in as me, but I can't remember my password..lol)

Meg said...

i can't do a handstand. nor can i knit. or speak japanese.

:)

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!? You can't speak Japanese?!?

Phhh, well then...