Tuesday, April 17, 2007

to mourn and to grieve

I have been glued to the television since yesterday, keeping up with all the progress since yesterday's tragedy at Virginia Tech.

Today, I asked my students to journal in response to the shooting. Do they feel personally affected when they read about school violence? What causes people to act violently against their communities? Do they feel safe at Johnson? How can we (as students, faculty, and administrators) make Johnson a safer place to be?

The responses were heartbreaking. None of my students feel safe at our school. They feel threatened by the gangs on campus, the sheer size of the school, and how "ghetto" it is (their words, not mine). How can I expect my students to focus on learning when they feel unsafe every time they set foot on campus?

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Wow, the most participation you have gotten out of your class is on the subject of school violence. Very telling.