Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I have to say, I'm none to disappointed to be leaving my district when I read emails like this:

"I have attached a copy of the contract for the New Permanent Superintendent for [our district]. It includes the amount of money she can make. Be sure to read all sections regarding compensation. I adds up to more than $192,000 (4 to 5 times that of a teacher salary) the FIRST YEAR with a $10,000. raise for each of two years following this amount. The board can add to this compensation any time they want to. Additional compensation will be given for any out-of-district travel, meals while she is away, and other out-of-pocket expenses with no cap.

This is only days following the board meeting where the district, including the same board that hired her and negotiated her sticker price, was glum-faced about the possible cuts our district face. Their discussion included all of the following:

No sports
No music
No art
No clubs

Class sizes of 40 to 50 for grades 4 through 12

Class sizes of 32 for grades K through 3

A negotiated 173-day calendar down from 182 which would be a 5% to 10% cut in pay for unit members"

No sports, music, clubs, or art? Class size of 50? 50? I can barely fit the 33 desks that are in my classroom as it is. All this so our superindenant can make $200,000? Absurd.

1 comment:

Jessica & Robbie said...

That sounds very familiar...sometimes school districts suck.