Friday, May 01, 2009

when its good its good its so good

I've never had to write a letter of resignation before. Hopefully this one is OK. It kind of made me cry.

May 1, 2009
Dear Princpal,

It is now with mixed feelings that I write this letter. While I am truly excited to be moving into a new phase of my life with my soon-to-be-husband, I am also truly heartbroken to be leaving my colleagues and friends at Our High School. This has been a difficult decision, but in the end Brian and I know that it is in both of our best interests to make the move back to the Bay Area now, when we have both been blessed with job offers in the same district.

I cannot begin to thank you for giving me the opportunity to flex my teaching muscles here at Our School. I am amazed to look back and see how much I have grown in the last two years, and that was not without your encouragement along the way. I always felt welcomed and supported and comfortable taking risks in my classroom and trying new things. Thank you for the genuine care and interest you take in your teachers and you willingness to back them up. I always knew I could go to you if I needed support and as a new teacher that was especially comforting.

Thank you for believing in me enough to allow me to teach in the freshmen academy after only one year in the classroom. It was a completely transformative experience and not only changed the way I interacted with my students on a day-to-day basis, but also how I viewed the parent-teacher communication piece as well. This was a far more challenging year than last year, but doubly rewarding. I am truly sorry that I am leaving a hole in the freshmen academy team, but am also confident that you will find a solid, student-centered teacher to take on the terribly important task of training our ninth graders to be successful in high school. They need and deserve the very best you can find.

Thank you again for every opportunity, every encouragement, every kind word in passing. I am a better teacher for having taught for you and with colleagues who I now consider friends. Good luck next year, and for many years to come. You are doing excellent work.

Sincerely,
Megan Rose Garcia

1 comment:

SparkFaith said...

well done my friend!