Sunday, August 13, 2006

adding to the noise

I'm sitting amidst boxes of books, shoes, and dishes in my new apartment, alone for the time being. Amy doesn't move back in until the quarter starts late September, so I have a month or so to myself. I'm exhausted from hauling furniture around, but can't bring myself to go to bed yet because brushing my teeth will involve unpacking another crate, and I just can't handle that right now.

It's weird being back in Davis, when I thought I would be in Pasadena by now. It's weird being in a relationship this pristine, when I thought I would be single for a bit longer. It's weird being a graduate student, and living by myself (even for a little while), and feeling so damn adult and tied-down... in a liberating way.

Travis and I met for ice cream on the SJSU campus yesterday and talked about all our friends and their contagious travel-bugs. We talked about moving to New York and being poor and single and fabulous. We talked about joining the Peace Corps and living in Africa and making a real difference. We talked about teaching English in Japan and practicing anonymity. We talked about working our way up the continent to Ireland, applying for Irish citizenship, and just trying something new for a while.

I realize I'm stuck in California for another five-or-so years, going through my "induction period" for my credential ("will there be hazing?" Trav wonders), but I can't help but be just as excited at my prospects as I am about everyone else's. Because I have this opportunity to do something really incredible... 'Cause see, you can be a teacher, or you can be a teacher. And I intend to be the latter.

Cause I'm a fire
I'm a flood
I'm a revolution
I'm a war
Already won
I'm a revolution
-Starfield

No comments: