Saturday, January 06, 2007

part of where im going

For my EDU 153 class, I have to write an "I am From" poem (yes, I'm doing my homework even though I skipped the first week of class. I'm a good student...). This is what I came up with:

I am from beauty, rich & rare.

I am from Midwest summers, quilting circles,
Catfish ponds, & the Cherokee Nation;
From Nano’s nursery rhymes, ambrosia salad,
And a grandfather who never remembered my name.

I am from scarred knuckles & serious caffeine addictions,
Mom’s sewing machine & 24lb turkeys,
Private schools, Labrador retrievers, freckles on my nose,
And, above all else, “the family business”.

I am from soccer in the rain, atrocious penmanship,
“Quit calling me Mexican, because I’m not”,
Hand sewn prom dresses, books stacked to the ceiling,
Ski trips, hibiscus, & plumeria.

I am from music, music,
And more music.

I am from shoulder surgeries & shattered dreams;
From discovering life after competitive sports;
From arts education & faith as small as a mustard seed.

I am from yoga in empty theatres, bonfires on the beach,
Youth group on Wednesday, band practice with the guys,
AP English, & bare feet on beaches white.

I am from Shakespeare, Faulkner, & the book of Hebrews;
From London, New York, & Barcelona;
From passionate living & fabulous friends;
From the beautiful Silicon Valley.

I am from learning to love myself; from no regrets;
From “Go big or go home”, adventures, laughter,
Jesus, & sunshine.


There's a format for "I am From" poems, but I didn't use it. If you're interested, you can find it here, but I think it's far more interesting if you rely on your own rhythm to guide your writing. I'll probably use this with my high school students this year. Write your own and share your journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Megan!

I've missed you. We should do Guad soon! Is Grey's happening this week?

:Dave