Friday, February 23, 2007

light my fire

Amazingly, the annual February 19th birthday countdown kick-off came and went and I didn't even realize it. I've been stressed lately (could you guess?) and actually just gave up this morning and let my ESL class watch "Shrek" for the last half hour of class.

What? You would do it too.

I'm having a really hard time believing that I'll be 23 in (hold on....) 55 days. I don't particularly want to be 23, mostly because I associate 23 with officially being an adult and have this irrational fear that as soon as April 19 rolls around this year, I'll suddenly become boring and practical.

This is, as usual, probably just a product of grad school, which has made me feel very boring and practical for the last six months. After all, part of being a teacher is justifying every single thing you do in the classroom. I don't do much adventuring and staying up late and, dare I say it, even as much laughing as I used to. This makes me sad and I hope it's just a phase, that as soon as PACT is turned in, I settle on a research topic, and I get hired somewhere, I can relax a little and loosen up some.

And for anyone who's wondering, I hated Grey's Anatomy last night. Hated it.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm curious...why did you hate it? I don't quite know how I feel about it myself, it felt like they were trying too hard to be profound or something. What's your take?

Anonymous said...

Have you read the Grey writers' blog yet? Turns out, Shonda didn't write that episode. That's why we didn't like it.

Meg said...

I do agree that it felt like they were trying too hard, but even more than that it felt like they were trying to hard to be something very NOT Grey's - something more... Touched By An Angel, maybe, I'm not sure.

The whole spiritual/afterlife business is all very well and good, but after 2 1/2 seasons of science and medicine, it just didn't fit. It was the last thing we were expecting, but it wasn't a nice surprise or a FITTING surprise. It was a... weird surprise. And it didn't make me sympathize with Meredith any either.

To be honest, I loved all the non-Meredith parts of the episode. The George/Izzie/Callie storyline is developing really nicely and it was good to see Addison and Mark act like human beings. But the Meredith afterlife business just kind of sucked.

SparkFaith said...

Okay non Grey's comment, I miss laughing too! We need to take a summer vacation, away from lesson plans and papers and laugh. Ive got a cabin in Tahoe! I hope it is just a phase....