Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"This is not about being open to gay, lesbian, and trans-gender students. This is about being open to people... Every single one of your students has a story." -Sylvia Aquino

I hear an alarming number of my colleagues say, "I'm just not sure why I'm here or if this is what I want to do" or (my personal favorite) "I just really don't like my students" during the course of the typical "So, how are your classes going?" discussions. Holy cow, this irritates me.

I realize that the purpose of student teaching and the credential program is to help us discover our strengths and weaknesses as teachers and, essentially, find our niche in education. And I realize that, undoubtedly, some people are going to discover that they aren't good teachers (I can pick out several right now...). But what I really can't fathom is why you would even consider the teaching profession if you don't, oh I don't know, like kids? Or believe in the worth and validity of adolescents?

I have a lot more to say, but I'm in the middle of a lecture about Title IX and am simultaneously taking notes, finishing lesson plans, researching the concept of a classroom blog, and looking up YA titles for this summer. And blogging.

Did I mention PACT? Yeah, that's due soon too...

No comments: