Sunday, November 12, 2006

when the night feels my song

Despite the rainy weather yesterday, Davis AYSO chose not to postpone our tournament, so I spent several soggy hours on the soccer field, nose running, lineup disintegrating, and umbrella turning inside out. In the end, we won both of our games, beating an undefeated team, and moving on to the semifinals. Two more games this afternoon and then the standard team pizza party where, I just realized, I'm going to be expected to give a speech of some sort. Awesome

I spent the rest of the afternoon curled in a blanket on the couch, alternating between reading Jodi Picoult's new novel The Tenth Circle and watching miscellaneous crap on television (my roommate is gone for the weekend, so I took full advantage of an empty apartment). After some Top Chef and a Six Feet Under marathon, I found myself listening to the third (fourth?) season of Laguna Beach as I really started getting into my book. There were several episodes rerunning, namely Spring Break (in Cabo, of course) and Prom and it made me realize that no matter how much I may lament that I'm almost 23 and a real adult now and have to go to grad school and pay my own bills and (on some level) am kind of sad that I'm not "dating" anymore... I'm really glad that having those responsibilities that that "title" means I'm not in high school anymore because, holy cow, high school stinks.

This spring, when I graduate from grad school in the Mondavi Center (for the credential degree, at least), it will be five years since I graduated from high school in the Flint Center. Five years! I never thought I'd get out of there, and now look where I am. Crazy.




My senior portrait.

No comments: